How can I enforce my visitation agreement for my child?

One of the most pressing issues during a divorce is who will get visitation rights and custody of your child. While a court may establish a visitation schedule, unfortunately not all parents are great at following the schedule. One of the most common issues amongst divorced parents with children is visitation interference or denial. 

Keep reading for more information regarding enforcing visitation rights if your ex is interfering with your rights. 

What is parenting time interference? 

According to FindLaw, there are two types of parenting time interference: direct and indirect. Direct interference includes physically restricting you from seeing your child by refusing to allow you to see them. This also includes moving to another state with the child if it violates the court order. 

Indirect time interference occurs when the other parent obstructs communication between you and your child. This may include not allowing you to speak to your child on the phone or attend extracurricular activities. In extreme cases, a court may consider actions taken by the other parent as parental alienation syndrome, where they use manipulation to pit your child against you. 

What remedies exist for parenting time interference? 

If the other parent is violating your parenting time, you can bring this against them in court. The court will suggest a solution to remedy the situation. Common solutions include the following. 

  • Changing the parenting time agreement, either permanently or temporarily 
  • Creating a parenting schedule to make up for the time you lost 
  • Charging your ex with fees or fines 
  • Order your ex to pay for counseling or education costs 

If the situation is extreme, a judge may order the other parent to spend some time in jail.