1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Child Support

Filing For Child Support Is Stressful; We Can Help

When it comes to your children, it’s normal to be protective and want the very best for them. Each parent is financially responsible for their child, and determining child support can be complicated. Since 1979, Beck, Jonson & Nolan, PC, has helped families throughout Colorado. Together, we will find the best possible solution for the most important members of your family.

By law, every parent owes a duty of support to their child. Determining child support includes a consideration of a variety of factors, including parenting time (overnights), each parent’s gross monthly income, and certain adjustment expenses. We will help guide you through this process to ensure your rights, and your child’s rights, are protected. It is also important to understand that a failure to pay child support may result in serious legal consequences including jail time. Therefore, understanding your rights and obligations is of the utmost importance. No matter which side you are on, we will do our best to fight for what is fair.

What If We Were Never Married?

When a child is born outside of marriage, there may not be a legal presumption of paternity. If your partner has not been adjudicated a parent, he will have no rights to parenting time or decision-making, and will have no obligation to support your child.

Paternity can be established through the filing of a petition for paternity. Such a petition can be filed by the mother or by a presumed father even before the birth of the child. Through a paternity action, your partner may be required to take a paternity test in order to obtain DNA evidence of paternity. You can then move forward with establishing parental rights and responsibilities, such as parenting time and decision-making, and also establishing child support. We can help you with all that is necessary to establish paternity.

Call Today To Discuss Your Options

There are many different ways child support can be agreed upon. Whether it is in a civil manner or not, we are here to represent your best interests. Call our Lakewood office today at 303-578-4075 or fill out our contact form.